Yummy, healthy and quick Sunday breakfast, if you feel like a change from your usual pancakes or eggs! I made this breakfast dish for the first time last week-end, a bit by chance. I was up early and the hubby had come back late from a concert that night, so I did not want to wake him up with the sound of too many kitchen robots … but I still wanted to make something special for our lazy morning.
This one was put together in minutes, with little more ingredients than you need to make yourself a bowl of cereal. After baking it I just kept the oatmeal dish in the warm oven until it was time for breakfast! Check out the recipe, and you will see it is really not much fuss.
What do you need?
The basics: 2 cups old fashioned oats – 1 small tsp salt – 400 ml milk (or veggie milk) – a big dollop maple syrup or honey – 2 large eggs (or flax eggs) – 2 tsp sugar – 3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil.
The toppings: 2 tsp cinnamon – 2 tsp vanilla paste – 200 g frozen berries – a small handful of crushed walnuts and a small handful of hazelnuts, a handful dessicated coconut … but let your imagination lose!
How to make it?
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Grease a square baing dish (about 20-25 cm)
- Toast the nuts in the oven for 5 mn or until they start to smell really nice and look golden but not burnt
- Combine together the milk, maple syrup, egg, half of the coconut oil, and the vanilla. Whisk until you obtain a nice homogeneous mix.
- Add the oats, toasted nuts, cinnamon, salt and sugar. Mix gently.
- Add half of the berries to the mix and fold them in gently so as not to crush them too much.
- Pour the oat mix in your dish, wiggle the dish a little so the mixture spread evenly. Add the remaining berries on top. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top looks golden brown. Serve as is, with some yoghurt or double cream.. or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You can store the leftover in a sealed container in the fridge – for an easy breakfast all week!