I am quite into making my own staples, to the point that everything we have for breakfast in the morning is home made: bread, nutella, peanut butter, jam, and nut milks. All by yours faithful! Sorry for bragging, I have to admit am a little bit proud of this.
But as I live in town, and I don’t really have green fingers, I have never managed to grow anything myself. Until my sister offered us this amazing Mushroom Growing Kit from Pret-a-Pousser, thanks to which I can grow mushrooms on my windowsill.
If you go on their website you will see the the choice is simple: red, yellow or grey oyster mushrooms, certified organic. The mushrooms grow in 10 days, and each box will give you 2 harvests, for about £15.
What do you need? 1 harvest of oyster mushrooms – 1 clove garlic – 1 shallot – a handful of chives – 2 tbsp olive oil – 50 ml white wine – salt/pepper to taste.
How to make it?
- Grow and harvest your oyster mushrooms. (Ok, it also works if you buy them), wash them and remove the stalk. Slice the shallot and garlic thinly. Chop the chives.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil until really hot. Fry the shallot first for about a minute or so, then the garlic for a minute.
- Then add the mushrooms and stir fry until they become brown and soft.
- Add the white wine and keep frying for 2-3 mn. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the chives as you serve. Serve for example with some scrambled eggs.